Did you know April is designated as National Pest Management Month? Spring has sprung and with warmer temperatures we start to notice all the creepy, crawlies around our home like ants, bees, wasps, and spiders. It is also when birds, squirrels, rats, and other rodents seek out safe places to nest and have their babies.
Many serious health risks are involved with insect and rodent infestations that get out of control. Additionally, termites, rodents, and carpenter ants can cause significant property damage. It is important to be proactive in the prevention of pest infestation. The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) recommends home and property owners follow these steps to prevent pest infestation:
- Trim tree branches and plants away from house and buildings
- Seal openings along the foundation that allow access to the crawlspace or basement
- Eliminate standing water and repair any leaks such as a dripping outdoor faucet
- Keep trash receptacles clean, both indoor and outdoor, and make sure outdoor containers have tight fitting lids
- Avoid leaving pet food outdoors for prolonged periods
- Use screens on windows and doors and repair any torn or damaged screens
- Keep all food containers tightly sealed
- Keep kitchen counters clean by wiping regularly and empty garbage frequently
- Sweep and vacuum floors regularly
If you suspect an infestation, contact a licensed pest control professional immediately. If you need a recommendation, please give us a call at 425-775-9085.